- To facilitate a discussion which is inclusive to the entire group.
- Participants begin in pairs, responding to a discussion question only with a single partner.
- After each person has had a chance to share their ideas, the pair joins another pair, creating a group of four.
- Pairs share their ideas with the pair they just joined.
- Next, groups of four join together to form groups of eight, and so on.
- Repeat until the whole group is joined up in one large discussion.
- Participants could be required to reach consensus every time they join up with a new group.
Adapted from: www.cultofpedagogy.com/speaking-listening-techniques/